- Mexacana offers international airfare from Mexico to 50 destinations in the Caribbean and North, Central, and South America and is the leading airfare provider between Mexico and the United States (you cannot purchase airfare from one US city to another US city)
- MexicanaGO rewards program – Get 1 MexicanaGO point for each mile flown on Mexicana and MexicanaClick
- Mexicana Best Price Guarantee – If you find a lower price for the same route, flight and schedule, they will match the lower price and give you a 10% discount (restrictions apply, see Mexicana’s site for full details)
- Mexicana Protect- Helps to protect you in the event of a medical emergency during your trip
- As the 4th oldest airline in the world, Mexicana was praised by the World Travel Awards as having the Best Business Class in Mexico and Latin America, and as the Best Airline Website in its region.
- Alliances with airlines allow for greater options – Aeromar, Air New Zealand, American Airlines, Avianca, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Lufthansa, and QANTAS
- Member of the Oneworld Alliance, for flexible frequent flier rewards and benefits
Our Editor’s Review:
We really like the MexicanaGO reward program by Mexicana Airlines, and the fact that you can use your MexicanaGO points with any Mexicana affiliated airline. To get the most MexicanaGO points, we use the MexicanaGO promotions page, where some airlines and hotels will give you up to 20,000 GO points if you fly or stay with them.
Mexicana also has the best prices that we found between the United States and Mexico. Mexicana Airlines has good in-flight amenities and some offer “MexicanaMix” cocktails, such as the “Flying High” with Bacardi Rum (yummy). Unlike most airlines they will allow you to check 1 bag at no charge, as long as the bag is less than 55 pounds, and you can carry on one 22 pound bag for free.
On the downside, we find the Mexicana website to be difficult to read and navigate. The fonts are tiny and the buttons blend in with everything else on the page. We feel like we need a magnifying glass to read their site! Some of the graphics look like buttons, but when we click on them we discover that they are not links. Most of the text is blue, which typical website users equate with a link, so its hard to tell where the links are located. We just keep clicking until we find one. …sheesh!
Mexicana Airlines Fees & Policies:
- Baggage Fee from US to Mexico – First 55 lb. bag is free, plus $3.50 per kg + taxes if you exceed 55 lbs. for your first checked bag. Each additional bag is $3.50 per kg + taxes.
- Cancellation policy – Fee of $150+ and additional taxes to change a flight reservation for flights from US to Mexico. Generally no refund is given if you cancel a flight, but it varies per fare.
Based solely on research done by TravelSiteCritic.com, these figures may be inaccurate and are subject to change.Verify policies with Mexicana Airlines before you book. Please be aware of airfare taxes & fees, applicable to any booking that includes airfare. TravelSiteCritic.com is not affiliated with Mexicana Airlines, but please read our Reviews Disclosure.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Read our review disclosure for more information.
Please be aware of airfare taxes & fees.